Choosing cosmetic or reconstructive facial surgery is an important and often difficult decision. One must resolve many issues:
- Is surgery right for me?
- Can it achieve what I want?
- What is the most appropriate procedure for me?
- Have I found the right surgeon? Does he understand my goals for surgery, and does he seem confident that he can achieve those goals?
- Has my surgeon explained the procedure adequately? Do I understand what the typical pre- and post- operative periods will be like?
The consultation is your opportunity to have each of these concerns addressed. Our typical consultation lasts 45 minutes to 1 hour. During that time, Dr. Sclafani will:
- Listen to your reasons for seeking treatment.
- Help you focus on the changes that are most important to you.
- Obtain a complete medical history.
- Perform a complete examination.
- Discuss with you the procedures he believes will most benefit you, and explain why.
- Describe the procedure to you, including placement of incisions, stitches, and post-operative bandages.
- Demonstrate and describe the results you can reasonably expect from the surgery.
- Discuss how you can prepare for surgery.
- Describe the day of surgery, from the moment you arrive for surgery to the time you leave for home.
- Describe the recovery period (bandages, bruising, swelling and aftercare, including post-operative visits).
- Discuss the pertinent risks of the surgery.
- Take photographs.
- Before you leave, Dr. Sclafani's staff will discuss finances with you, including Dr. Sclafani's fees for surgery and approximate hospital and anesthesia costs (when appropriate) and payment options.